Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|90% Barbera, 10% Croatina||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||1 ha|
This wine takes its name from the homonomous locality of our village of Castellania. Our winery is to be found at n°5 via Sant’Andrea.
Area of production: the grapes come exclusively from our vineyards in Castellania (at an altitude of 400 m) in the locality called Sant’Andrea.
Harvesting: after awaiting the proper degree of ripeness, the grapes are then hand-picked in 18/20 kg crates.
Vinification tecniques: after crushing and stalk-removing, fermentation takes place in steel refrigerated tanks at a controlled temperature of 25/27°C and the maceration of approximately
ten days comprises the repassing of the must over the grapedregs and pressing, after the drawing off of the wine and the first decanting the wine continues it malolactic fermentation for a minimum of three months.
Refinement: the wine matures for approximately 9 months in steel tanks and a further refinement follows in the bottle for a mininum of three months.
- Color: intense and vivacious ruby-red.
- Bouquet: good intensity with traces of cherry and wild strawberries.
- Palate: full, satisfying and fresh
- Best served: at 18°C.
- Best served with: white and red meats, elaborate fish dishes, fresh cheese. Ideal with agnolotti and raw salame.
- Made from 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel refrigerated tanks at a controlled temperature of 77-81°F.
- Aged in steel tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 9 months in the steel tanks and a minimum of 3 months in the bottle.
- Grapes: 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|