Vertus, the village in Champagne’s famous Côte des Blancs, has been the home of the Mailliard family for four generations. Although the wine tradition is the thread of the family history, and while the first official references date back to 1894, the real founder of the House is Alexis Mailliard, born more than a century ago. Today, the third and fourth generations, Michel and Gregory respectively, take care of the 23 hectare (55 acre) family vineyard.
- This cuvée selected from the very best vineyard plots of the vintage
- Vineyards are in the department Marne, in the heart of the Côte des Blancs, the wine area that stretches over some 20 km to the south, south-east from Epernay.
- Area named after the color of Chardonnay, the grape planted on some 95% of the soil. Champagnes made with Chardonnay are called Blanc de Blancs.
- If, according to the experts, the Côte des Blancs gives way to the best champagnes, this is largely due to its soil, as it lays on a chalk outcrop, unlike other parts of the vineyard where the chalk is more deeply buried.
- Soils are chalk and calcareous
- Hand harvested from the best plots of the estate
- Fermentation on stainless steel tanks
- No malolactic fermentation
- Bottling began in March 2013
- Aged a minimum of 7 years on the lees
Historic cuvée of the house. Since the beginning in 1984, it has brought together the best plots of the Michel Mailliard. You can follow each vintage, as you would discover a new volume of the books of your favorite author. An elegant and timeless Champagne.
Yellow golden appearance with very fine bubbles. Hints of butter, brioche and citrus fruits on the nose. At first supple and unambiguous, the taste evolves with the sweet bitterness of candied fruits. Ideal as an aperitif but also during the meal. It will magnify fish dishes with turbot, sea bream and Saint Pierre.
- 100% Blanc de Blancs (Chardonnay)
- Dosage: 5.6 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 7.15 g/l
|Appellation(s)||Côte des Blancs|
|Winemaker||Michel & Gregory Mailliard (father & son)|
|Annual Production||3,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|