Vertus, the village in Champagne’s famous Côte des Blancs, has been the home of the Mailliard family since 1894 where they have been making champagne for four generations.
Today, the third and fourth generations, father and son Michel and Gregory, take care of the 23-hectare (55 acre) family vineyard. Half of the vineyard plots are in Vertus and the surrounding area and are mostly planted to Chardonnay.
In addition to being a vigneron and Champagne maker, Michel Mailliard is an innovator, entrepreneur, and leader with a touch of politician. Among the champagne producers of Vertus, he is a very prominent figure. Decades ago, Michel saw many of his neighbors with small vineyard plots of very good quality grapes in need of a better place to produce their champagnes. So, he created one of the first “custom crush facilities” in champagne. These types of facilities are now commonplace in many wine regions around the world, helping artisan producers and garagists. Over time, the small start-up grew to house the current state-of-the-art champagne producing equipment and temperature-controlled storage facilities. Each vigneron controls the production of their respective champagne separately from the other producers. This facility has allowed even the smallest producers to make their own style of champagne.
The objective of Champagne Michel Mailliard is to make champagnes that reflect the terroir and house style. Gregory manages the vineyards and the harvest. He stands side-by-side with his father learning the craft of champagne making – the Mailliard way. The two have total control of their champagnes made at the custom crush facility. Michel owns the winery and all of the fruit he uses is estate fruit. All the equipment he uses is used only for the production of Michel Mailliard. However, because there are others making wine at his facility, he must label his wines RC, Récoltant-Coopérateur (wine purchased back from the group facility).
- The home of Champagne Michel Mailliard can be found in Vertus, the heart of the Côte des Blancs. Vertus is the first commune of Champagne in the Marne department and its terroir of 500 hectares is classified as Premier Cru. Today, the third and fourth generations take care of our vineyard of 23 hectares, half of which are in Vertus and its surroundings and, for the most part, planted with Chardonnay.
- Although the wine tradition is the thread of our family history and while the first official references date back to 1894, the real founder of the House is Alexis Mailliard, born more than a century ago.
- Thanks to his legacy completed with his own passion for wine, Michel Mailliard added a new dimension and a cultural component to the family history: he developed the company, expanded the vineyard and established the brand Champagne Michel Mailliard.
- Therefore, we are able to present today a wide array of fine Champagnes and an enoteca with aged and very special Cuvées.
- The objective of our House is to grow and create Champagnes that reflect the vision and sensory cues that have been passed on from father to son.
- Named after Michel Mailliard’s daughter, Alexia, the Cuvée Rosé Alexia lives up to all you expect from a noble and prestigious wine.
- A perfect effervescence or fragrances instantly develops in the mouth. Hints of strawberries and raspberries, of fudge and Tarte Tatin.
- This Cuvée is an ideal aperitif but works well with desserts and dishes such as salmon with lemon.
90% Chardonnay, 10% Pinot Noir from Premier Cru vineyards; Brut – Residual sugar 7.0 g/L; Alcohol : 12.45%; the home of Champagne Michel Mailliard can be found in Vertus, the heart of the Côte des Blancs; Vertus is the first commune of Champagne in the Marne department and its terroir of 500 hectares is classified as Premier Cru; named after Michel Mailliard’s daughter, Alexia, the Cuvée Rosé Alexia lives up to all you expect from a noble and prestigious wine; a perfect effervescence or fragrances instantly develops in the mouth, hints of strawberries and raspberries, of fudge and Tarte Tatin.
- 90 % Chardonnay – 10 % Pinot Noir all from Premier Cru vineyards
- By blending in a portion of still red wine
- Brut – Residual sugar 7.00 g/L
- Alcohol level: 12.45 %
|Appellation(s)||Côte des Blancs|
|Winemaker||Michel & Gregory Mailliard (father & son)|
|Annual Production||3,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|