Neil Ellis Wines
Neil Ellis is a South African wine industry icon and one of the early pioneers to bring quality levels up to world class standards. The winery sits 5 miles east of the town of Stellenbosch in the Jonkershoek Valley. It was founded in 1993 with the philosophy to source grapes from the top growers of the region. The eco-friendly winery produces wines from the regions of Stellenbosch, Darling, Darbanville and Elgin.
- Grapes from close to the Whitehall farm, where Neil Ellis produced the first certified wine from Elgin
- Elgin is one of the Cape’s coolest viticultural areas with an average temperature of 20°C during the month of February
- Soils: white mineral sandstone and quartz with clay subsoil
- Aspect: South-facing slopes
- Altitude: average 300 meters
- Trellised vines
- Harvest commenced February 26 and completed March 7, 2018
- Grapes harvested 22 – 22.8°B with a total acid of 8 g/l and pH of 3.08
- Yield: 8 tons/ha
- Grapes whole cluster pressed on a Champagne pressing cycle using only the cuvee
- 100% barrel fermented using 35% new 228L fine grained oak barrels and balance in 2nd and 3rd used barels
- 20% of wine underwent malolactic fermentation
- Wine aged 9 months in 228L oak barrels
Attractive aromas of lemon zest, pear and white flower notes. Tightly structured palate with mouth watering acidity. balanced by subtle oak. Restrained mineral edge, with balanced richness, elegance and length.
100% Chardonnay; alcohol: 13%; soils white mineral sandstone and quartz on clay subsoil; vines grown near Whitehall farm in Elgin; grapes whole cluster pressed using Champagne pressing cycle; 100% barrel fermented in 35% new, 228L French oak barrels and 2nd and 3rd used barrels; 20% of wine completed malolactic fermentation; aged 9 months in 228L French oak barrels.
- 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 6.4 g/l
- pH: 3.19
- RS: 3 g/l
- Bottled: January 2019
DECANTER WORLD WINE AWARD 2020 – GOLD
Bright fragrant nose of apple, citrus and tangerine with crunchy cassis leaf. Zesty and lively on the palate with a toasty richness underneath. Bold and vibrant on a long finish.
Snappy acidity imparts verve and drive to flavors of Honeycrisp apple, kiwi fruit, tangerine and slivered almond in this medium-bodied white. Subtle hints of minerally stone and salt chime on the finish. Drink now through 2024.
|Region||(1) Costal Region (2) Cape South Coast|
|Appellation(s)||(1) Stellenbosch, Darling (2) Elgin|
|Annual Production||50,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|