Neil Ellis Wines
Neil Ellis is a South African wine industry icon and one of the early pioneers to bring quality levels up to world class standards. The winery sits 5 miles east of the town of Stellenbosch in the Jonkershoek Valley. It was founded in 1993 with the philosophy to source grapes from the top growers of the region. The eco-friendly winery produces wines from the regions of Stellenbosch, Darling, Darbanville and Elgin.
Vineyards close to the Whitehall farm, where Neil Ellis produced the first certified wine from Elgin.
- Elgin is one of the Cape’s coolest viticultural areas with an average temperature of 20°C in February
- Soils: White mineral sandstone and quartz with clay subsoil
- Exposure: South-facing slopes
- Altitude: average 300 meters
- Vine Training System: Trellised
- Harvest began February 18 and concluded March 18, 2020
- Grapes at 21.5 – 22.5ºBrix, total acid 8.5 g/l
- Yield: 6.5 – 8 tons/acre
- Whole cluster pressed
- 100% barrel fermented using 30% new 228L fine grained oak barrels and balance in 2nd and 3rd fill used barels
- 30% of wine underwent malolactic fermentation
- Aged 9 months in 228L oak barrels
- Bottled in November 2020
The wine has an attractive bouquet and brings together aromas of lime, white nectarine, hazelnut and flinty mineral aromas. Tightly structured palate and bouquet blend into a subtle harmony. This wine combines grace with a well defined character and remarkable concentration.
100% Chardonnay; alcohol: 13%; cool-site vineyards near Whitehall farm in Elgin; grown in white mineral sandstone and quartz on clay subsoils; grapes whole cluster pressed; 100% barrel fermented in 30% new, 228L French oak barrels and balance in 2nd and 3rd used barrels; 30% of wine completed malolactic fermentation; aged 9 months in 228L French oak barrels.
- 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol: 13%
- Total Acidity: 6.8 g/l
- pH: 3.26
- Residual Sugar: 2.1 g/l
Sliced apples and pears with lemon curd, honeysuckle and stones. Medium- to full-bodied with crisp, lively acidity and impressive tension. Bright and juicy fruit character and flavorful finish. Sustainable. Drink now.
Gold Medals Points
International Wine Challenge:
|Region||(1) Costal Region (2) Cape South Coast|
|Appellation(s)||(1) Stellenbosch, Darling (2) Elgin|
|Annual Production||50,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|