For over a century, four generations of the Sassetti family have farmed and made wine in Montalcino. Livio worked the historic property through the late 1970s, then purchased the 16-hectare (39.53 acres) Podere Pertimali vineyard. The now–famous Podere is in the Montosoli area, north of Montalcino, an area recognized for the cultivation of the Sangiovese grape.
In 1967, Livio was among the founders of the Consorzio del Brunello di Montalcino, which was the same year the DOC(G) system was written into law. In 1968 he built a terracotta wall in his cellar to preserve the old vintages of the wines produced by the family. Today, that collection consists of almost 1,000 bottles, with vintages dating back to 1915. Dedicated to the land, Livio has over time rehabilitated and expanded the vineyards, preserving the genetic heritage of the old vines and preserving the primigenial characteristics.
In 1999, the Sassetti family acquired La Querciolina a beautiful property located in the Maremma within the Montecucco DOC. They also work with a small property in Colle Argento located in the Valdobbiadene Prosecco DOCG region.
Today, the estates are managed by Lorenzo Sassetti, Livio’s son, fourth generation family member and acclaimed winemaker. Together with his wife Sabina they passionately uphold the family name and reputation. Lorenzo’s wines have deep roots in their respective terroirs. The wines are invigorating, aromatic, powerful styles that dance on the palate. Sassetti Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino is a collector’s wine. A true benchmark.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type||Vineyard Area ha or acres|
|Montecucco Rosso DOC||100% Sangiovese Grosso della Maremma||Planted 2000||Volcanic soil||12 ha / 29.65 acres|
Vineyards in Montecucco Rosso DOC.
- Soils: Volcanic
- Vines Planted: 2000
- Vine Training System: Spurred Cordon
- Vine Planting Density: 7000/ha
- Hand harvested at end of September
- Gentle pressing
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures 28 – 29º C
- 10 – 12 days maceration
- Aged 6 months in 30hl Slavonian oak barrels
- Aged 6 months in bottle before release
Intense aromas of blackberries, candied plum, herbs and spices. Fresh and fruity on the palate, with earthy mineral notes. Fine tannins lead to a long and silky finish.
- 100% Sangiovese della Maremma; alcohol: 14%; vineyards in Montecucco DOC; volcanic soils; hand harvested end September; fermented in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures 28 – 29ºC; maceration 10 days; aged 6 months in 30hl Slavonian oak; aged 6 months in bottle.
- 100% Sangiovese Grosso della Maremma grapes
- Alcohol: 14%
|Appellation(s)||Montalcino, Montecucco, Valdobbiadene|
|Proprietors||Lorenzo Sassetti & Sabina La Brusco Sassetti|
|Annual Production||13,250 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Following organic principles, not certified|