Estate grown grapes from organic and biodynamic vineyards are handpicked and transformed into artisan wines through gentle, traditional winemaking – wine of passion, grace and spirit. Acknowledging Seresin’s ongoing commitment to sound environmental practices as a winegrower, Seresin won the Marlborough District Council’s 2009 Marlborough Environment Award.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Clay & sand|
- The fruit for this wine comes from the steep hill block of our clay rich hillside Raupo Creek vineyard in Marlborough’s Omaka Valley.
- Each vine is thinned to carry one bunch per shoot or less, or less than 1kg of fruit per vine.
- In the best vintages the best portions are selected to make the Sun and Moon Pinot Noir.
- The fruit was hand-sorted before being de-stemmed and cooled, after a short pre-fermentation soaking period the juice was allowed to warm and fermentation started with wild yeast.
- During fermentation the caps were hand-plunged daily.
- The wine was then left to sit on skins for nearly four weeks for post ferment maceration; a total of five weeks was spent in contact with the skins.
- It was then drained and lightly pressed before natural malolactic fermentation during 17 months maturing in French oak.
- The best portions were selected for this wine and blended, before being bottled unfiltered and without fining.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Vine age – from vines over 20 years on average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of Clay & sand.
- Fermented in French Oak using wild yeast.
- Aged in French oak, of which around 35 percent was new.
- Aged for 15 months.
- Bottled unfiltered and unfined.
- Alcohol: 14.0%
- pH: 3.58
- TA: 6.1g/l
- Clones: 115, 777 & 10/5
“This flagship pinot noir is only made from the best grapes in the best vintages. A dense, rich and very powerful wine, it possesses layers of dark cherry, raspberry, plum, Oriental spices, nutty oak and savoury dried herb flavours. This pinot is a very impressive red with serious cellaring potential.”
|Annual Production||60,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic, Organic|