Estate grown grapes from organic and biodynamic vineyards are handpicked and transformed into artisan wines through gentle, traditional winemaking – wine of passion, grace and spirit. Acknowledging Seresin’s ongoing commitment to sound environmental practices as a winegrower, Seresin won the Marlborough District Council’s 2009 Marlborough Environment Award.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Over 20 years on average in 2015||Mixed alluvial silt, gravel and clay|
The fruit comes mostly from our clay-rich Hillside Raupo Creek vineyard in the Omaka Valley, with a tiny amount also from the alluvial shingles of our Tatou vineyard and the Noa vineyard, which is made up of Waimakariri type soils of alluvial origin.
- Fruit was hand-sorted and destemmed and cooled. After a pre-fermentation steeping period, the juice was warmed and fermented with wild yeast, and the caps hand-plunged daily during fermentation.
- The wine was left on skins for 2 weeks of post-ferment maceration, then drained, lightly pressed and transferred to French oak barriques, of which 14% were new.
- The wine went through natural malolactic fermentation during 15 months maturation, before it was bottled unfiltered and unfined.
- The nose exhibits aromas of black cherry, truffle and chocolate.
- The palate is Concentrated and full, with a dense core of rich fruit, alongside savoury spice and herbal notes, all underpinned by silky-fine and mouth coating tannins.
- Long on the finish, with a cleansing acidity, this is a poised, yet powerful wine.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Vine age – from vines over 20 years on average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of Clay and windblown silt.
- Fermented in French Oak Barriques using wild yeast.
- Aged in French oak barriques, of which 14% were new.
- Aged for 15 months.
- Bottled unfiltered and unfined.
- Clones: 115, 667, 777 & 10/5
- Yield: 3 tonnes / hectare
- Oak: 100% oak matured, 14% new
- Bottling date: 17th January 2014
- Alcohol: 13.5 %
- RS: <1g
- pH: 3.7
- TA: 5.7g/l
- Drink dates: Now until 2025
(from low-yielding, organically farmed vines; vinified with wild yeasts; following 12 months of aging in 20% new French oak, the best barrels were selected for another six months of oak aging): Bright, dark red. High-pitched peppery perfume to the aromas of raspberry and spices. Concentrated and deep, conveying a restrained sweetness to the flavors of raspberry and saline minerality. This savory, very tactile wine finishes with suave but serious tannins and terrific length. Built to age. 2018-2025
This is a big, rich style of Pinot, with toast, vanilla and bacon marking the nose. While the palate delivers more black cherry fruit, it still remains savory overall. It’s slightly chewy on the finish, so drink 2017-2025.
|Annual Production||60,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic, Organic|