Estate grown grapes from organic and biodynamic vineyards are handpicked and transformed into artisan wines through gentle, traditional winemaking – wine of passion, grace and spirit. Acknowledging Seresin’s ongoing commitment to sound environmental practices as a winegrower, Seresin won the Marlborough District Council’s 2009 Marlborough Environment Award.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Clay & sand|
- The fruit for this wine comes from the steep hill block of our clay rich hillside Raupo Creek vineyard in Marlborough’s Omaka Valley.
- Each vine is thinned to carry one bunch per shoot or less – under 1kg of fruit per vine.
- The fruit was hand-sorted before being de-stemmed and cooled.
- After a short pre-fermentation steeping period, the juice was warmed, and fermented with wild yeast.
- During fermentation the caps were hand-plunged daily.
- The wine was left to sit on skins for nearly four weeks for post-fermentation maceration. It was drained and lightly pressed, before natural malolactic fermentation followed by 15 months maturing in French oak, of which around 35 percent was new.
- The wine was bottled unfiltered and without fining.
- Made from our best grapes, this is the purest expression of Pinot Noir we can make.
- It is savoury and complex, crafted with aging in mind.
- The supple tannins provide structure for rich and succulent fruit weight, creating a balance between power and elegance.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Vine age – from vines over 20 years on average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay & sand.
- Fermented in French Oak using wild yeast.
- Aged in French oak, of which around 35 percent was new.
- Aged for 15 months.
- Bottled unfiltered and unfined.
- Clones: 115, 777 & 10/5
- Yield: 2 tonnes / hectare
- Oak: 100% oak matured, 35% new
- Bottling date: 17th January 2014
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- RS: <1g
- pH: 3.72
- TA: 5.67g
- Drink dates: Now until 2028
Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2012 Sun and Moon Pinot Noir is beautifully perfumed of lavender, cloves and violets over a core of red currents and red cherries with a waft of mossy bark. Light to medium-bodied, the intense red berry and earth flavors fill the mouth with plenty of lively acidity to boot and a good backbone of finely grained tannins, it finishes with great persistence and in provocative layers. Lisa Perrotti-Brown
|Annual Production||60,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic, Organic|