Estate grown grapes from organic and biodynamic vineyards are handpicked and transformed into artisan wines through gentle, traditional winemaking – wine of passion, grace and spirit. Acknowledging Seresin’s ongoing commitment to sound environmental practices as a winegrower, Seresin won the Marlborough District Council’s 2009 Marlborough Environment Award.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Over 20 years on average in 2015||Mixed alluvial silt|
The fruit comes mostly from the clay-rich hillside Raupo Creek vineyard in the Omaka Valley with a small amount also from Noa vineyard, which is made up of Waimakariri type soils of alluvial origin.
- A blend from all of our vineyard sites.
- Leah is named after Michael Seresin’s daughter.
The 2016 winegrowing vintage at Seresin Estate will be remembered for a challenging cold start with a spectacular long summer. A very long and constant frost fighting season ensured the team were under pressure from the start. Towards the end of January we were predicting a later harvest than normal, but an intense long summer followed by a dry harvest period enabled us to deliver the fruit on-time, intact and without stress. The harvest itself was fast and furious, one of the most compact we have ever experienced.
- The fruit was hand-picked, destemmed and fermented with wild yeast, and the caps hand-plunged daily during fermentation.
- The wine was left on skins for 4-5 weeks, then drained, lightly pressed and transferred to aged French oak barriques, 12% new.
- The wine went through natural malolactic fermentation during 11 months maturation, before it was bottled lightly filtered and unfined.
- Exhibits bright, fragrant berry-fruit aromas, interlaced with spice and herbal notes.
- The wine is focused and concentrated, with a succulent fruit core, framed by fine-grained tannins and a mouth-watering acidity.
- An elegant and understated style with immediate appeal, but structure to last.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Vine age – from vines over 20 years on average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of mixed alluvial silt, gravel and clay.
- Fermented in French Oak Barriques using wild yeast.
- Aged in French barriques, 12% new.
- Aged for 11 months.
- Bottled lightly filtered and unfined.
- Variety: Pinot Noir
- Vineyard: 97% Raupo Creek, 3% Noa
- Oak: 11 months, 12% New
- Bottling Date: June 23, 2017
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- RS: 0.18 g/l
- PH: 3.6
- TA: 5.7 g/l
- Total SO2: 40 ppm
|Annual Production||60,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic, Organic|