Estate grown grapes from organic and biodynamic vineyards are handpicked and transformed into artisan wines through gentle, traditional winemaking – wine of passion, grace and spirit. Acknowledging Seresin’s ongoing commitment to sound environmental practices as a winegrower, Seresin won the Marlborough District Council’s 2009 Marlborough Environment Award.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type|
|Sauvignon Blanc||Sauvignon Blanc 91.6%, Semillon 8.4%||Over 20 years||Mixed alluvial silt, gravel and clay|
- Old vines that thrive on river silt terraces in Central Wairau Valley, clay-rich Raupo Creek vineyard in Omaka Valley
- Soils: silty clay loam, silty sand loam, clay loam
- Altitiude: 50 and 175 meters
- Planting density: 3300/Ha
- Vine training system: spur and cane pruned
- Clones: 15, 316, 15th 316, BVRC14 Semilion
- Vine age: average 20 years
2018 will be remembered as being rather unusual for Marlborough, with a run of wet conditions following a period of warm weather. Fortunately our vineyards all fared well, with low yields and careful management ensuring a large proportion was harvested by the end of March. Above all, we will remember this vintage for its fast and furious nature – blink and you nearly missed it! However the resulting wines are showing a great deal of poise, elegance and subtlety. We are beyond excited to nurture them into the bottle and bring them to market.
- Six parcels of fruit from the two vineyards hand harvested, whole cluster pressed in late March 2018
- Each parcel vinified separately
- Free run juice only; 15% into neutral French oak barrels, 85% into small stainless steel vessels
- Fermentation with only wild yeasts for 8 – 16 weeks, then aged on lees 9 months
- Blended, stabilized & filtered before bottling
Brimming with concentrated ripe aromas of warm autumnal interlaced with savoury notes, this Sauvignon Blanc shows the full spectrum of flavours. Characterized by striking the perfect balance between complexity and drinkability, this Sauvignon Blanc is highly textured and, above all, delicious and poised. Showing a positive effect from extended aging on lees and barrel aging, wild yeast and a splash of Sémillon.
91.6% Sauvignon Blanc, 8.4% Semillon; Alcohol: 13%; soils silty clay and sandy loam; vines age over 20 years; whole cluster pressed; parcels separately fermented using wild yeasts in 15% neutral French oak barrels and 85% small stainless steel vessels; aged 9 months on lees; blended, stabilized and filtered before bottling.
- 91.6% Sauvignon Blanc, 8.4% Semillon
- Alcohol: 13%
- Total Acidity: 6.3 g/L
- pH: 3.2
- RS: 2.5 g/L
- Total SO2: 75 ppm
- Certified Organic & Biodynamic, suitable for vegans and vegetarians
Bottled just three weeks before my visit, the 2018 Sauvignon Blanc seemed pretty recovered, offering up ripe nectarine and cut-grass notes on the nose. Medium to full-bodied, it’s plump and silky on the palate, showcasing round fig and melon notes before tailing off just a bit abruptly on the finish. Fifteen percent of the blend went into puncheons and 5% is Sémillon. 2019 – 2020
Organic and vegan. Lightly dusty/stony layer over the herbal and smoky aroma. Nicely dry, no lack of fruit, but with a light reductive character to take the edge off Sauvignon Blanc’s excesses. Long, stony finish. 13.5% 2019 – 2022
|Annual Production||60,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic, Organic|