Since 1955, the Snowdens have farmed their vineyard high above the Napa Valley. In addition to the stunning views of St. Helena, Rutherford and the San Francisco Bay, the estate offers four separate sites producing remarkably complex and individualistic wines. Winemaking duties are in the capable hands of Diana Snowden Seysses. The winery produces Bordeaux blends from their estate vineyards and a small amount of Sauvignon Blanc from a small parcel they call the Lost Vineyard.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type||Vineyard Area ha or acres|
|Cabernet Sauvignon Brothers Vineyard||100% Cabernet Sauvignon||Replanted 2011||Rhyolite (vocanic) sand||11 acres|
- Brothers Vineyard is largest and best-located vineyard on property
- 850 feet elevation, on the top of hill overlooking Napa Valley to the West and Conn Valley dropping dramatically off the East
- Wine comes from 2 acre Block C, on east-facing slope of gentle volcanic hill at heart of Brothers Vineyard
- The 2016 growing season followed the near-average rainfall of the winter of 2015-16, a great relief after the preceding four years of drought
- Temperatures were consistently mild and even, which made for slow, steady ripening and a longer time for fruit to stay on the vine
- The 2016 wines have an ease about them – the unrushed vintage allowed for wines with balance and character, highlighted by exquisite floral and higher toned aromas
The 2016 Brothers shows the signature aromas of wines from this vineyard: pencil lead, cedar, cloves, blackberries, blueberries and sage, but in 2016 there in an extra dimension. It vibrates with life. On the palate, it is layered, long and changing. It is impressive in its power and concentration. This wine will live for decades – delicious now, but also worth waiting for.
Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes; vine age – planted in 2011; grown on Perlite (volcanic) sand soils; fermented in stainless steel tanks using native yeasts; aged 18 months in French oak barrels; bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Harvested September 12, 2016
- Alcohol: 14.8%
- Aged 18 months in French oak
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
- 599 cases produced
The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Brothers is the best wine I have tasted from Diana Snowden-Seysses. Rich, explosive and savory, the 2016 dazzles with intensity in all of its dimensions. Graphite, smoke, savory herbs and spice notes wrap around a core of dark fruit in a vertical, towering Cabernet Sauvignon that captures all the vintage has to offer.
Offers a tasty core of plum and blackberry fruit, backed by lively anise and apple wood notes. Restrained overall, with an alluring freshness and a subtle charcoal hint lingering deftly at the end. Drink now through 2032.
Top 100 Wines of 2019
A really pretty cab with fresh blueberries, crushed stones and orange zest, plus hints of hazelnuts. Medium body, bright acidity, tightly wound tannins and a fine finish. Lovely purity of fruit. Drink in 2023.
|Proprietors||Scott and Joann Snowden and Randy and Janet Snowden, managing directors of Snowden Vineyards|
|Annual Production||2,900 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable (including no chemical herbicides used in vineyards)|