Since 1955, the Snowdens have farmed their vineyard high above the Napa Valley. In addition to the stunning views of St. Helena, Rutherford and the San Francisco Bay, the estate offers four separate sites producing remarkably complex and individualistic wines. Winemaking duties are in the capable hands of Diana Snowden Seysses. The winery produces Bordeaux blends from their estate vineyards and a small amount of Sauvignon Blanc from a small parcel they call the Lost Vineyard.
Petit Verdot block from a 0.84 acre immediately adjacent to Brothers Vineyard at 800 feet.
- Soils: Rhyolite (volcanic sand)
- Vines Planted: 1962, 1981, 2009
- Petit Verdot block named for Levi Philander Davis, who homesteaded the ranch in 1878
- 2019 growing season began with much-needed rains
- Water reserves replenished, vines grew quickly
- Intensive vineyard work to keep up with ground vegetation & canopy management
- Removal of lateral shoots & excess fruit critical to maintain balance
- Even growing season without heat spikes even in fall
- Harvests at leisure, chosen at optimal ripeness, resulting in generous and plush wines with exceptional aromatic complexity
- Hand harvested on 10/11/2019
- Indigenous yeast fermented
- Aged 17 months in 50% new French oak barrels
2019 growing conditions were perfect for Petit Verdot, which prefers even weather during the last 6 weeks of ripening. The bouquet of the 2019 is thick and dense, highlighted with wild licorice, lavender and black cherries. The palate tension is strung between acidity, tannin and thick fruit. This wine is a compelling, carnal enigma and makes us so glad we were able to save some to be bottled alone and enjoyed unblended.
100% Petit Verdot; alcohol: 14.5%; vines planted 1962, 1981, 2009; single block of Petit Verdot adjacent to Brothers Vineyard at 800 feet; grown in Rhyolite (volcanic sand) soils; hand harvested on 10/11/2019; fermented with only indigenous yeasts; malolactic fermentation and aged in 50% new French oak barrels for 17 months; bottled unfined and unfiltered 4/12/2021.
- 100% Petit Verdot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- Cases Produced: 87
The 2019 Petit Verdot Levi Philander Davis Vineyard is delicate, subtle and savory, with pretty aromatic presence and tons of class. This is an especially refined, nuanced expression of Petit Verdot that captures all the natural energy of the year. Sage, menthol, licorice and black cherry linger. 2024 – 2034
|Proprietors||Scott and Joann Snowden and Randy and Janet Snowden, managing directors of Snowden Vineyards|
|Annual Production||2,900 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable (including no chemical herbicides used in vineyards)|