The innovative winery situated along the Wine Route, is considered one of the best wineries in South Tyrol and Italy. St. Michael Eppan Winery, with its 355 members, 350 hectares of vineyard and 2.5 million bottles sold every year, has become renowned worldwide. The “Sanct Valentin“ label alone is enough to thrill wine lovers and connoisseurs.
Grapes / Soils
|Gewurztraminer||Planted 1985 – 2005||Limestone gravel , some clay|
- Grape Variety: Gewürztraminer.
- Vine Age: 10 to 30 years
- Area of Cultivation Sites: Single vineyards along the South Tyrolean Wine Road, from Kurtatsch to Tramin and Kaltern, and all the way to Eppan (300 – 500m; 984-1,640 ft).
- Exposure: South-Southeast.
- Soil: Limestone gravel with a slight amount of clay.
- Training System: Guyot.
- Harvest 2013: Beginning to the end of October; harvest and selection of grapes by hand.
- Vinification: Fermentation and development in stainless-steel tanks.
- Color: Straw yellow
- Nose: Spicy aroma of cinnamon, cloves, rose and lychee
- Taste: Fruity and spicy, aromatic, long finish
- Pairing Recommendations: lovely as an aperitif and also pairs well with spicy and intense dishes such as chestnut ravioli with black truffle, shellfish and with Tyrolean Käseknödel (cheese dumplings).
- Made from Gewurztraminer grapes.
- Vine age – planted 1985-2005.
- Grown on soils of limestone gravel, some clay.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in Stainless steel.
- Aged for 6 months.
- Production Yield: 65 hl/ha
- Alcohol Content: 14 %
- Residual Sugar: 5 gr/lt
- Acidity: 4.5 gr/lt
- Serving Temperature: 46-50 degrees F
- Storage/Potential: 3 to 4 years
|Annual Production||40,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable, organic, biodynamic|