The story of Azienda Agricola Tiberio rings more like a new world tale than one from the old world of the ancient lands beneath the Majella and Gran Sasso mountains in Abruzzo. At 350 meters, twenty three miles inland from the seaside city of Pescara near the hillside town of Cugnoli, Riccardo Tiberio found an old plot of Trebbiano Abruzzese vines roughly 50 years old so impressive that he decided to change his and his family’s destiny.
Grapes / Soils
|Pecorino massal selection||16 years average||Limestone with a marly-gravel subsoil||3|
- Pecorino is an ancient variety that has always called the mountains Appennine ridges of the Marche and Abruzzo its home. A low yielding variety due to sterility of the basal buds, over the centuries farmers shied away from it preferring instead to plant easier to grow, more productive varieites; and so, Pecorino was all but forgotten, and nearly extinct by the 1970s. Times change and today high yields are less important than they once were; modern day wine lovers now clamor for high quality grape varieties. Capable of giving distinctive wines, and Pecorino fills that bill nicely.
- The grape is characterized by essentially round leaves and small round very thick skinned berries.
- The wine is rich and glycerol but also endowed with high total acidity, thereby offering a unique combination of texture and vibrancy.
- In face, Pecorino wines have become so popular that much Pecorino has been planted recently, however the grape variety always performs best in hilly vineyard sites rather than flatland areas, which are not its natural habitat.
- Category: Pecorino IGP
- Locality of production: Cugnoli (PE)
- Total area undervine: 3 ha
- Altitude: 350 meters a.s.l
- Soil composition: Limestone with marly-gravel subsoil
- Average vine age: 16
- Vine training: Guyot
- Density: 4000 vines/Ha
- Yield: 55 Hl
- Harvest: September
- Vinification: No press, just free run juice
- Alcoholic fermentation: In stainless steel tanks
- Malolactic fermentaton: Not done
- Ageing: In bottle
- Color: Deep straw yellow.
- Tasting Note: With intense aromas and flavors of sage, rosemary, green fig, peach, yellow melon. Full bodied and with a lingering minerality.
- Food pairing: Seafood, pasta, legumes, white meats, cheese.
- Made from Pecorino massal selection grapes.
- Vine age – 16 years average.
- Grown on soils of Limestone with a marly-gravel subsoil.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Grape Variety: 100% massal selection Pecorino
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Vivid dark straw-yellow. Tangy aromas and flavors of yellow apple, peach and honey, complicated by a delicate whiff of sage. Oilier and thicker in texture than Tiberio’s Trebbiano d’Abruzzo (the Pecorino variety builds up sugar with much greater ease and hence gives fleshier wines), but with sound acidity giving backbone to the ripe orchard fruit and herbal flavors. At once powerful but vibrant, this pure, refined wine is ready to drink now but will likely age well. 13% alcohol.
|Proprietors||Riccardo, Cristiana, Antonio Tiberio (father, daughter, son)|
|Annual Production||8,300 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|