The story of Azienda Agricola Tiberio rings more like a new world tale than one from the old world of the ancient lands beneath the Majella and Gran Sasso mountains in Abruzzo. At 350 meters, twenty three miles inland from the seaside city of Pescara near the hillside town of Cugnoli, Riccardo Tiberio found an old plot of Trebbiano Abruzzese vines roughly 50 years old so impressive that he decided to change his and his family’s destiny.
Grapes / Soils
|Trebbiano Abruzzese massal selection||Planted 1959||limestone,marly-clay,|
- Category: Trebbiano d’Abruzzo Dop
- Locality of Production: Cugnoli (PE)
- Total Area: 3707 acres
- Altitude: 1200 feet
- Soil Composition: Limestone, marly-clay over a sandstone rich bedrock
- Vine Training System: Canopy
- Age of Vineyard: 88 years
- Density: 2500 vines/HA.
- Harvest: End of September
- Vinification: No press, just free run juice
- Alcoholic Fermentation: Indigenous yeasts, in stainless steel tank
- Malolactic Fermentation: Not done
- Bottling: Unfined, unfiltered
- Ageing: In stainless steel tank and bottle.
- Color: Straw yellow with green tinges
- Tasting Notes: Luminous wine, very mineral, with green apple, apricot, tangerine, lemon peel, with nuances of white flowers and anise. Vibrant, precise, crystalline. Rich and tactile with a laser beam of lemony acidity. Finishes long with harmonious minerality and flinty, creamy texture.
- Made from Trebbiano Abruzzese massal selection grapes
- Vine age – planted 1959
- Grown on soils of limestone, marly-clay, sandstone
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks
- Aged in stainless steel and the bottle
- Alcohol: 12%
- Grape Variety: 100% massal selection Trebbiano Abruzzese
Luminous bright straw-yellow. High-pitched aromas of lemon drop, lime, jasmine and crushed stone. Racy, perfumed and light on its feet, with enamel-shattering acidity that is just balanced by underlying concentration and a strong mineral framework. Iodine and calcaire-related notes give the mid-palate a distinct tautness and the long finish superb precision and clarity. This will turn out to be a monumental Fonte Canale, but don’t even think of touching a bottle until 2022.
|Proprietors||Riccardo, Cristiana, Antonio Tiberio (father, daughter, son)|
|Annual Production||8,300 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|