The story of Azienda Agricola Tiberio rings more like a new world tale than one from the old world of the ancient lands beneath the Majella and Gran Sasso mountains in Abruzzo. At 350 meters, twenty three miles inland from the seaside city of Pescara near the hillside town of Cugnoli, Riccardo Tiberio found an old plot of Trebbiano Abruzzese vines roughly 50 years old so impressive that he decided to change his and his family’s destiny.
Grapes / Soils
|Montepulciano massal selection||55 years average in 2018||Clay- calcareous||15 Ha|
- Montepulciano d’Abruzzo native grape, coming from old vines 55 years old, 100% Massal selection.
- Soil composition: Clay-calcareous
- Training method: Canopy/Guyot
- Elevation: 1200 feet
- Vines/acre: 2500/4000
- Yield/acre: 3.2 tons
- Harvest time: Hand harvested in October
- Fermentation container: Stainless steel
- Aging container: Stainless steel tanks and bottle
- Length of bottle aging: 3 months
- Brilliant ruby red with violet tinges.
- Intense aromas and flavors, refined and elegant, with hints of sour red cherry, blueberry, violet and flint.
- Smooth tannins, full-bodied and long fresh finish.
- Food pairings – tomato and/or meat pasta dishes, poultry and wildfowl, red meats, venison and cheese.
- Made from Montepulciano massal selection grapes.
- Vine age – 55 years average in 2018.
- Grown on soils of clay- calcareous.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in stainless steel and the bottle.
- Aged for 3 months
- Varietal composition: 100% Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
- Alcohol: 14.0%
Good bright red. Vibrant aromas of red cherry, raspberry, licorice and minerals, complicated by delicate hints of spices (coriander, cumin, tarragon). Then very silky on the palate, but displaying outstanding lift and intensity to the flavors of red cherry, pomegranate, flowers and tar. Very suave but juicy and fresh Montepulciano d’Abruzzo wine with none of the heaviness that often drags down wines of this variety. The finish is suave and bracing and shows a delightful light touch.
|Proprietors||Riccardo, Cristiana, Antonio Tiberio (father, daughter, son)|
|Annual Production||8,300 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|