“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon||Deep gravely loam|
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on a benchland site in the Alexander Valley facing south/southeast.
- This unique topography protects the vineyad from the wind. The early morning fog and deep gravelly loam soils are ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. Indeed, one of the great uncompromising vineyards of the Alexander Valley and certainly a “trig point” for growing classy Bordeaux varietals.
“The 2012 harvest was excellent. Growing conditions throughout the year were ideal for producing fully mature flavors. Fruit set in the spring was larger than usual and we ended up with about 20% greater yields. The summer mornings were usually foggy and very cool but warm sunshine followed and mid-90s temperatures were common in the afternoons. Most evenings the fog rolled in again and the vineyards cooled down to the mid-40s. This daily temperature cycle continued well into September ripening up fruit evenly and slowly. A great vintage for Alexander Valley. ” – Nick Goldschmidt
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Fermented in barrel.
- Aged in barrel: Taransaud, Boutes, 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined.
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Clone: Jackson
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Yield: 3.60 tons per acre, by hand
- pH: 3.67
- Total Acidity: 0.60mg/100ml
- Alc%: 14.5
- Aging: 18 months
- Fermentation: 100% barrel
- Barrels: Taransaud, Boutes Tight-Grain, 25% new 60% French 20% American 20% Hungarian
- Fining: Unfined
- Cases Produced: 2,507
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|