“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon||Deep gravely loam|
- One of the best vintages in 30 years from the Alexander Valley.
- Great season, warmer than 2012, but a moderate one with no heat spikes and grape dehydration. Bud break was early for this vintage. We experienced a warm June but a cool July that perfectly balanced the vines. August was perfect.
- Picked the week of Sep 10th. Cabernet came in a little early and light. The clusters were there but the cluster density was a little low. The flavors were mature and complex. The tannins fully ripened.
- Overall, the quality of 2013 was outstanding-Nick Goldschmidt
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Fermented in Barrel.
- Aged in Barrel: Taransaud, Boutes, 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined.
- Vintage: 2013
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Clone: Jackson
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Yield: 3.3 tons per acre, by hand
- pH: 3.60
- Total Acidity: 0.58 mg/100ml
- Alc %: 14.5
- Aging: 18 months
- Fermentation: 100% barrel
- Barrels: Taransaud, Boutes Tight- Grain: 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Fining: Unfined
- Cases Produced: 2,994cs
This is a meaty and soft wine with a lot of power behind it. Plummy, slightly jammy yet structured, it features appropriate accents of peppercorn, cedar and toasted oak. Full bodied, it’s enjoyable now and a deal to boot.
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|