“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon||Deep gravely loam|
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on a benchland site in the Alexander Valley facing south/southeast.
- This unique topography protects the vineyard from the wind. The early morning fog and deep gravelly loam soils are ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. Indeed, one of the great uncompromising vineyards of the Alexander Valley and certainly a “trig point” for growing classy Bordeaux varietals.
- Clone: Jackson
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Yield: 2.9 tons per acre, by hand
- Aging: 18 months
- Fermentation: 100% barrel
- Barrels: Tarasaud, Boutes (tight-grain)
- Fining: Unfined
- Cases produced: 2,622
- 2014 was an exceptional vintage in Alexander Valley. The wines show outstanding color and flavor development. A warm, relatively dry spring through April and May produced very even flowering and fruit set. We were a little worried in midsummer that sugars were ahead of flavor, but cool weather in September stalled ripening. The nights stayed cool and we picked at optimal flavor concentration.
- Aromas of blackberry, black cherry, spice, and licorice. Black currant and cherry flavors are accented with sage and dark chocolate.
- Full-bodied on the palate, this vintage shows subtle espresso bean and mocha notes in a soft, supple finish.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Fermented in Barrel.
- Aged in Barrel: Taransaud, Boutes tight-grain, 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined.
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- pH: 3.71
- Total Acidity: 6.3 g/L
- Alc %: 14.5
Aromas of blackberry, black cherry, spice and licorice. Black currant and cherry flavors are accented with sage and dark chocolate. Full-bodied on the palate, this vintage shows subtle espresso bean and mocha notes in a soft, supple finish.
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|