“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon||Deep gravely loam|
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on a benchland site in the Alexander Valley facing south/southeast. This unique topography protects the vineyard from the wind. The early morning fog and deep gravelly loam soils are ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. Indeed, one of the great uncompromising vineyards of the Alexander Valley and certainly a “trig point” for growing classy Bordeaux varietals.
- Clone: Jackson
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Yield: 2.7 tons per acre, by hand
- Aging: 18 months
- Fermentation: 100% barrel
- Barrels: Taransaud, Boutes Tight-Grain 25% new, 60% French, 20 % American, 20% Hungarian
- Fining: Unfined
- Cases Produced: 5,500
- A superb vintage for Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Very refined with deep, almost opaque, inky-black color and outstanding flavor development. We were challenged this year by a warm winter, a cool spring, and three summer heat waves, but exquisite fruit at harvest prevailed.
- This vintage shows great quality and consistency. Small clusters (with some of the smallest berries we’ve ever seen). Very concentrated but marvelously flavorful!
- Beautiful purple and ruby hues fill the glass. Aromas of dark spices, black currant, black tea, and coffee bean. Juicy fruit flavors of cherry, raspberry and blackberry. Smooth, soft and supple finish with spicy accents.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Fermented in Barrel.
- Aged in Barrel: Taransaud, Boutes tight-grain, 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined.
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- pH: 3.73
- Total Acidity: 6.2 g/L
- Alc %: 14.5
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|