“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot||Planted 1982||Deep gravely loam|
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard lies just south of the town of Geyserville in the renowned Alexander Valley wine region. Its old, low vigor vines consistently produce Merlot with more power and depth than typically found in the appellation.
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard is perfect for Merlot. Situated in the southern and cooler end of the Alexander Valley and coupled with a slightly more vigorous soil means that the fruit can be taken to full flavor and perfect sugar without dehydration. Given the vineyard is over 30 years old, the canopy-to-crop ration tends to be in perfect balance, cropping at around 3.5-4.2 t/acre.
We were challenged in 2015 by a warm winter, a cool spring, and a couple of summer heat waves. The last heat wave lingered throughout the first half of September, accelerating grape sugars and forcing us to scramble to get our crews scheduled. Fortunately, the quality of fruit was outstanding, showing magnificent color, deep flavor concentration, and perfect sugar and acid levels. These fantastic results are typical of drought vintages. The downside is that dry years often translate into lower cluster weights (crop yields), a less than favorable farming condition. Overall, a very fine vintage indeed and one that will be remembered for great quality.
- Dark garnet color; plush and ripe with cherry, strawberry, and white pepper aromas.
- Entry is broad and expansive with black cherry, wild blackberry, rhubarb, and ripe plum flavors.
- Velvety smooth and rich on the mid-palate. Full-bodied.
- Finishes with a hint of clove.
- Made from Merlot grapes.
- Vine age – planted 1982.
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in Barrel: 20% new tight grain French, 5% new American.
- Aged for 12 months.
- Bottled unfiltered.
- Varietal: 100% Merlot
- Clone: 337
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Avg. Vine Age: 30+ years
- Yield: 3.6 tons per acre/by hand
- pH: 3.65
- Total Acidity: .62 g/100ml
- Alc %: 14.5
- Barrel: 12 months, 25% new oak barrels (20% new tight-grain French_(5% new American)
- 75% neutral oak barrels
- Cases Produced: 1,500
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|