“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon||Deep gravelly loam|
The Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on a benchland site in the Alexander Valley facing south/southeast. This unique topography protects the vineyard from the wind. The early morning fog and deep gravelly loam soils are ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. Indeed, one of the great uncompromising vineyards of the Alexander Valley and certainly a “trig point” for growing classy Bordeaux varietals.
- Clone: Jackson
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Yield: 3.6 tons per acre, by hand
After years of drought, the 2016 winter rains renewed the water table to full capacity. Bud break came a bit early followed by a very mild summer. Ripening was slow and steady. July through August was relatively cool, which provided for longer hang times. The clusters filled out nicely and the berries grew to normal sizes. Some unseasonably cool temperatures in mid-September delayed harvest, but only temporarily. The yields were down slightly but the flavors and concentrations were fantastic.
- Aging: 18 months
- Fermentation: 100% barrel
- Barrels: Taransaud, Boutes Tight-Grain 25% new, 60% French, 20 % American, 20% Hungarian
- Fining: Unfined
- Cases Produced: 4,979
- Deep garnet; luscious cherry, red raspberry, and tea-leaf aromas.
- The red berry fruit flavors are expressed in a medium-bodied framework, with a touch of mocha, vanilla, and graphite for added dimension.
- Well-structured and smoothly textured.
- Notes of white and black pepper in the finish.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grown on soils of deep gravelly loam.
- Fermented in barrel 100%.
- Aged in Barrel: Taransaud, Boutes tight-grain, 25% new, 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined.
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- pH: 3.77
- Total Acidity: 6.0 g/L
- Alc %: 14.5
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|