“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon, Jackson clone||Deep gravelly loam|
Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on benchland in the Alexander Valley of Sonoma, facing South/Southeast. Topography protects vineyard from Pacific winds.
- Soils: deep, gravelly loam – ideal for growing Cabernet
- A true “trig point” for one of the great uncompromising vineyards of Alexander Valley, growing classy Bordeaux varieties
- 2019 growing season recalled by floods in March and fires in October, although those events did not compromise quality
- A cool start in spring 2019
- Warm ripening season led to beautifully paced picking schedule, without rush
- 2019 may surpass 2019 vintage with even longer lasting acids and best tannin/alcohol balance
- 100% barrel-fermented in Transaud & Boutes oak barrels: 25% new; 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian
- Aged 18 months
Intense purple and reds in color. The aromatics are opulent and very floral. Black fruits were a common theme. Black cherry and plum. The mouth follows with rich dark fruits of plum, blackberry and some licorice texture. Lush ripe tannins, full body and the nice creamy, velvet, tongue-wrapping flavor.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon, Jackson clone; Alcohol: 14.5%; Diamond Dust vineyard on benchland in Alexander Valley facing south/southwest; hand harvested, yield 3.5 tons/acre; 100% barrel fermented; aging: Taransaud and Boutes oak barrels, 25% new; 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian for 18 months; bottled unfined.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Clone: Jackson
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- pH: 3.7
- Total Acidity: 5.4 g/l
- Yield: 3.5 tons/acre by hand
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|