“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Diamond Dust Vineyard sits on benchland in the Alexander Valley of Sonoma, facing South/Southeast. Topography protects this vineyard from Pacific winds.
- Soils: deep, gravelly loam; ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon
- A true “trig point” for one of the great uncompromising vineyards of Alexander Valley, growing classical, lush and varietally true Bordeaux varieties
- 2020 rainfall 2/3 of average; March & April rains had huge influence in helping vines thrive through hot summer days and cool nights
- Early warmth precipitated harvest beginning 10 days earlier than historical Sonoma County vintages
- Alexander Valley’s intense fogs came in from coast every 3 days or so
- Very small crop – 60% of normal; light & rare vintage!
- Fully barrel fermented
- Aged 18 months in 25% new oak barrels, Taransaud & Boutes
- 60% French
- 20% American
- 20% Hungarian
Primary aromatics of black cherry and mocha. The nose also exhibits wide-ranging yet subtle layers of complexity, from violets to blueberries to red currants. Background notes of flint and graphite show in this 2020 vintage. The palate is intense and generous with plenty of fresh fruit. Black currants, blueberries and chocolate flavors are accompanied by long and supple toasty oak finish. A rare vintage.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon, all Jackson clone; alcohol: 14.5%; Diamond Dust vineyard on benchland in Alexander Valley facing south/southwest; 2020 quite small crop but excellent growing season; hand harvested, yield 3.5 tons/acre; 100% barrel fermented; aging: Taransaud and Boutes oak barrels, 25% new; 60% French, 20% American, 20% Hungarian for 18 months; bottled unfined.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Clone: Jackson
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- pH: 3.65
- Total Acidity: 6.45 g/l
- Yield: 3.5 tons/acre by hand
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|