“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Signpost comes from the West Sebastopol area of Russian River Valley.
- Region produces wonderfully bright, refreshing style of Chardonnay with crisp, green apple characteristics, medium-to-high acidity and good length
- Afternoon breezes continually cool vineyard, under marine layer
- Cool sunlight produces smaller grapes with more ripening days at lower temperatures, producing fruit with more flavor, complexity and quality
- Vineyards were former apple orchards replanted in 1990s
- Soil: Deep to very deep Goldridge sandy loam
- Clone: Old field selection
- Yield: 4 tons/acre
- 2021 one of the longest ripening seasons of the past 2 decades
- Seasons starting earlier due to lack of rains, creating early warm spring soil temperatures
- Heat spike in mid-May restricted berry expansion
- Cooling trend in August at versaison
- Yields lighter with small berries and small clusters, creating unusal concentration
- Hand harvested
- Gentle whole cluster pressing
- Settled for 48 hours
- Fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks
- Full malolactic fermentation
- Aged 9 months in medium toast French oak barrels
Plush and full from the high concentration in the small berries, this wine has ripe creamy aromas of lemon curd with a bit of tropical fruit, leading to sumptuous flavors of Asian pear, tangerine and lychee. Rich, yet light and beautifully balanced.
100% old field selection Chardonnay; alcohol: 13.9%; vineyard west of Sebastopol in Russian River area with cooling marine influence that naturally limits crop; Goldridge sandy loam soils; hand harvested; gentle whole-cluster pressed with 48 hour settling; fermented in stainless steel; full malolactic fermentation; aged 9 months in medium toast barrels.
- 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol: 13.9%
- Total Acidity: 6.0 g/l
- pH: 3.6
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|