“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot||Vine Age: 30+ years||Deep gravely loam|
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard lies just south of the town of Geyserville in the renowned Alexander Valley wine region. Its old, low vigor vines consistently produce Merlot with more power and depth than typically found in the appellation.
- The Diamond Dust Vineyard is perfect for Merlot. Situated in the southern and cooler end of the Alexander Valley and coupled with a slightly more vigorous soil means that the fruit can be taken to full flavor and perfect sugar without dehydration. Given the vineyard is over 30 years old, the canopy-to-crop ration tends to be in perfect balance, cropping at around 3.5-4.2 t/acre.
It felt more like a normal year in Sonoma County in 2016. After years of drought, the water table got renewed to full capacity by the long winter rains. Bud break came a bit early despite a cool spring. A very mild summer followed and ripening was slow and steady. We didn’t get the normal high heat in July and August and, in turn, got longer hang times. The clusters filled out nicely and the berries grew to normal sizes. Some unseasonably cool temperatures in mid-September delayed harvest, but only temporarily. When we finished picking, the yields were a little below normal bu the flavors and concentrations were first-rate.
- Gorgeous red fruit, dark chocolate and bacon in the nose.
- Shows red plum, red currant, blackberry, and spicy clove flavors.
- Full and round mouthfeel with soft tannins.
- Made from Merlot grapes.
- Vine age – 30+ years
- Grown on soils of deep gravely loam.
- Aged in Barrel: 25% new oak (20% new, tight-grain and 5% new American), 75% neutral oak barrels
- Aged for 12 months.
- Varietal: 100% Merlot
- Clone: 337
- Vineyard: Diamond Dust Vineyard
- Avg. Vine Age: 30+ years
- Yield: 3.6 tons per acre/by hand
- pH: 3.64
- Total Acidity: .60 g/100 ml
- Alc %: 14.5
- Cases Produced: 1,500
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|