“A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well known vineyard sites” Nick Goldschmidt, Winemaker.
Grapes / Soils
|Zinfandel||Planted 1983||Deep fine sandy loam|
- A “trig” has been used for many years to establish boundary lines. Trigonometrical stations were set on the top of hills and used as surveying sites. Just as my father was a land surveyor and used these trigs as a reference, so do I when it comes to well-known vineyard sites.
- The Railyard Vineyard sits just north of the town of Geyserville and was planted in pre-phylloxera times on St. George rootstock. Vines planted on this “old fashioned” rootstock show more vigor than when planted on the more modern AXR1 type. St. George also requires much less water, a key benefit, as California just posted the driest year on record.
- Aging: 12 months
- Barrel Fermentation: 100%
- Barrels: 20% New, 25% American, 75% French
- Fining: Un-fined and Unfiltered
- Release Date: 6/18/18
- Cases Produced: 500 cs
It felt more like a normal year in Sonoma County in 2016. After years of drought, the water table got renewed to full capacity by the long winter rains. Bud break came a bit early despite a cool spring. A very mild summer followed and ripening was slow and steady. We didn’t get the normal high heat in July and August and, in turn, got longer hang times. The clusters filled out nicely and the berries grew to normal sizes. Some unseasonably cool temperatures in mid-September put the brakes on harvest, but only temporarily.
- Fresh black cherry fruit aromas, with black pepper accents.
- Shows juicy blackberry, blueberry, and raspberry flavors.
- Beautiful depth and concentration with soft and supple fine-grain tannins.
- Finishes with a touch of mocha.
- Made from Zinfandel grapes
- Fermented in Barrel of which 20% is new
- Aged in barrel of which 25% is American oak; 75% French
- Aged for 12 months
- Bottled Un-fined and Unfiltered
- Varietal: 100% Zinfandel
- Rootstock: St. George
- Clone: Gold
- Vineyard: Railyard
- Yield: 3.8 tons per acre
- pH: 3.60
- Total Acidity: .60mg/100ml
- Alc%: 14.3
|Appellation(s)||Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast|
|Proprietors||Nick & Yolyn Goldschmidt|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|