The father-son team of Giovanni and Alessandro Valenti have embarked upon the journey to produce the very best wines from their homeland of Mount Etna in Sicily. Being avid lovers of literature and music, the names of their wines reflect this passion. Enrico IV, Henry IV (Enrico IV) is an Italian play by Luigi Pirandello; Puritani – I puritani (The Puritans) is an opera in three acts by Vincenzo Bellini; Norma is an opera in two acts by Vincenzo Bellini. Poesia is Poetry in Italian.
Grapes / Soils
|Planted 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015||Black volcanic; tan volcanic|
- As luck would have it, the first Valenti purchase was the famed Guardiola vineyard, the highest vineyard in Etna at 700-800m (2296-2624 ft). Subsequent purchases, including a vineyard older than 100 years, have also proven to be outstanding. The Valenti holdings are a mixture of some very old vines (mostly 40-50 years of age) and new plantings. The vineyards are all some the highest in the Etna region and with elevation comes cooler terroir. The vineyards are planted primarily with the famed red variety of the region, Nerello Mascalese, a little Nerello Cappuccio, and for white wine Carricante.
- Vineyard Location: North Slope of Mount Etna.
- Position and type of terrain: Volcanic with the presence of lava ash, 800m (2625ft) altitude.
- Giovanni is rigorous about implementing organic farming practices and uses only natural products to prevent disease and treat the vines. The diversity of plants and herbs throughout the vineyards is testimony to these farming efforts. Add soil tilled by donkeys and other farm animals, plus hand-harvesting, and you get true artisan viticulture.
- Carricante is the most widely planted white grape variety in the Etna region.
- Etna D.O.C. Bianco: Carricante (minimum 60%), Catarratto (no more than 40%). Can include up to 15% other non-aromatic grapes like Minnella or Trebbiano.
- Etna D.O.C. Bianco Superiore: Carricante (minimum 80%), Catarratto or Minnella (no more than 20%). Grapes have to come exclusively from the Milo area.
- Made from Carricante grapes.
- Vine age – planted 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015.
- Grown on soils of black volcanic and tan volcanic.
- Fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in stainless steel and in the bottle.
- Aged for 8 months in the stainless steel and 3 months in the bottle.
- Type of wine: DOC Etna Bianco
- Grape variety: 100% Carricante
- Fermentation: Grapes are de-stemmed and left in the cold maceration for at least 8 hours in contact with the skins to enhance the extraction of aromatics
- Alcohol content: 13.5%
- Acidity: 6 g/l
- Aging: Stainless steel for 8 months in contact with lees, and aged in the bottle for 3 months
- Bottle Type: Bourgogne dubonetta
|Proprietors||Giovanni & Alessandro Valenti (father & son)|
|Annual Production||4,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|