Established in the early 1960s, Weingut Leth has become a renowned winery in Fels am Wagram in just three generations. The Leth family are members of the Traditionsweinguter Osterreich (association of traditional wineries in Austria), and believe it is their obligation to express the characteristics of their region, their soils, their climate, their grape varieties and cellars in their wines. Franz Leth, Franz Jr. and the entire Leth family are committed to these ideals.
The Wagram region of Austria is home to Europe’s most extensive loess soil formations. The region formed when glacial winds blew fine particles of agglomerated clay, sand and lime – loess – onto the prehistoric bedrock of the ancient course of the Danube river. The layers are up to 20 meters deep, and enable vine roots to delve deeply and absorb water and nutrients from the mineral-rich subsoils. Combined with the benevolent climate and wide temperature variation from day to night, perfect conditions combine to create unique terroir wines.
Steinagrund is a fully terraced hillside. “Steinagrund” translates to “stony ground.”
- Vine age: 30 years
- Altitude: 220 – 280 meters
- Aspect: South
- Soils: Stony, gravelly soil, slightly to deeply covered with loess
- Sustainable agriculture – “Certified Sustainable Austria” certificate
- No herbicides for 25 years
- No insecticides for 10 years
- Plant protection follows organic standards, full bio certification from 2021
- No herbicides used in vineyard for 25 years
- No pesticides for 10 years
- No irrigation or fertilizers
- Harvested by hand with strict grape selection, eliminating grapes with Botrytis
- 2-3 hours of skin contact, then gently cluster pressed
- 12 hours settling, clear juice fermentation with their selected yeasts in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks
- After 5 weeks, racked with full yeast into large Acacia barrels and aged until April
- Bottled in first part of April
The bouquet promises fresh fruits and ripeness as well: yellow apple, honey melon and a hint of quince. On the palate a classic Grüner Veltliner, rich in fruit, a peppery spice, charming and full of finesse
100% Gruner Veltliner; Steinagrund vineyard; vine age 30 years; stony, gravelly soils with loess cover; no herbicides or pesticides – Certified Sustainable Austria certification; 12.9% alcohol; hand harvested; 2-3 hours skin contact; wine on full lees in Acacia barrels until early April bottling.
- 100% Gruner Veltliner grapes
- Alcohol: 12.9%
- Acidity: 5.9 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 2.0 g/l
A hint of peardrop appears first on the fresh nose before green pear and lemon take over. On the palate, there is a whole world of pepper and lemon pith, held in a taut, tight and concentrated fashion that makes this variety such a joy.
This is very steely with green apples and lightly spiced pears and lychees. Attractive fruit. Medium body and creamy texture. Turns lightly smoky at the end. Drink now.
|Proprietors||Franz Leth Family|
|Winemaker||Franz Leth Jr.|
|Annual Production||25,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|