Established in the early 1960s, Weingut Leth has become a renowned winery in Fels am Wagram in just three generations. The Leth family are members of the Traditionsweinguter Osterreich (association of traditional wineries in Austria), and believe it is their obligation to express the characteristics of their region, their soils, their climate, their grape varieties and cellars in their wines. Franz Leth, Franz Jr. and the entire Leth family are committed to these ideals.
The Wagram region of Austria is home to Europe’s most extensive loess soil formations. The region formed when glacial winds blew fine particles of agglomerated clay, sand and lime – loess – onto the prehistoric bedrock of the ancient course of the Danube river. The layers are up to 20 meters deep, and enable vine roots to delve deeply and absorb water and nutrients from the mineral-rich subsoils. Combined with the benevolent climate and wide temperature variation from day to night, perfect conditions combine to create unique terroir wines.
Single vineyard Steinagrund is a fully terraced hillside in Fels am Wagram. “Steinagrund” translates to “stony ground.”
- Vine age: 30 years
- Altitude: 220 – 280 meters
- Aspect: South
- Soils: Stony, gravelly soil, slightly to deeply covered with loess
- Sustainable agriculture – “Certified Sustainable Austria” certificate
- No herbicides for 25 years
- No insecticides for 10 years
- Plant protection follows organic standards, full bio certification from 2021
- Hand harvested and berries hand selected to eliminate any Botrytis
- Destemmed, skin contact for 12 hours
- Gentle pneumatic pressing, then settling for 12 hours
- Clear juice fermentation with natural yeast in temperature controlled, stainless steel tanks
- Aged 5 weeks, then partly racked into a separate stainless steel tank to preserve primary fruit characteristics
- Remaining juice racked into large, neutral Acacia oak barrels with fine lees
- Aged until bottling in April
The bouquet promises fresh fruits and ripeness as well: yellow apple, honey melon and a hint of quince. Subtle exotic hints enhance the juicy feeling on the palate, while the classic aspects of Grüner Veltliner with pronounced herbal, spicy and peppery fruit are evident more during the long aftertaste. Bone dry with a vivid finish. An excellent drinking pleasure.
100% Gruner Veltliner; alcohol: 12.5%; single, terraced Steinagrund vineyard; vine age 30 years; stony, gravelly soils with loess cover; no herbicides or pesticides; hand harvested; 12 hours skin contact; only indigenous yeast; aged 5 weeks, then part aged in neutral Acacia barrels on fine lees and part aged in stainless steel tanks; bottled in April.
- 100% Gruner Veltliner grapes
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- Total Acidity: 5.8 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 1.6 g/l
- Certified Sustainable Austria wine
This dry gruner veltliner combines vibrancy with ripeness and weight, neither too round nor too crisp. Some nice herbal complexity adds interest at the clean finish. Drink now.
|Proprietors||Franz Leth Family|
|Winemaker||Franz Leth Jr.|
|Annual Production||25,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|