Established in the early 1960s, Weingut Leth has become a renowned winery in Fels am Wagram in just three generations. The Leth family are members of the Traditionsweinguter Osterreich (association of traditional wineries in Austria), and believe it is their obligation to express the characteristics of their region, their soils, their climate, their grape varieties and cellars in their wines. Franz Leth, Franz Jr. and the entire Leth family are committed to these ideals.
The Wagram region of Austria is home to Europe’s most extensive loess soil formations. The region formed when glacial winds blew fine particles of agglomerated clay, sand and lime – loess – onto the prehistoric bedrock of the ancient course of the Danube river. The layers are up to 20 meters deep, and enable vine roots to delve deeply and absorb water and nutrients from the mineral-rich subsoils. Combined with the benevolent climate and wide temperature variation from day to night, perfect conditions combine to create unique terroir wines.
First terraces on the foot of the Wagram hillside.
- Altitude: 200 – 220 meters
- Soils: Red gravel soils with some loess cover, former riverbed of Danube
- No herbicides used in vineyard for 25 years
- No pesticides for 10 years
- No irrigation or fertilizers
- Harvested by hand with strict grape selection
- No skin contact, pneumatic pressing
- 12 hours settling, clear juice fermentation with indigenous yeasts in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks
- Wine stays on fine lees for 2 months
- Bottling in February
Fine harmony in the nose: stone fruit with a lot of peach, yellow fruit and grapefruit; elegant complexity of fruit with light herb and spice on the palate, some almost stony hints, typical for this variety.
100% Riesling; terraced vineyards on the Wagram hillside; red gravel soils with some loess cover; no herbicides or pesticides; 13% alcohol; hand harvested; no skin contact; wine on fine lees for 2 months; bottled in February.
- 100% Riesling grapes
- Alcohol: 13%
- RS: 1.6 g/L
- TA: 6.0 g/L
|Proprietors||Franz Leth Family|
|Winemaker||Franz Leth Jr.|
|Annual Production||25,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|