Established in the early 1960s, Weingut Leth has become a renowned winery in Fels am Wagram in just three generations. The Leth family are members of the Traditionsweinguter Osterreich (association of traditional wineries in Austria), and believe it is their obligation to express the characteristics of their region, their soils, their climate, their grape varieties and cellars in their wines. Franz Leth, Franz Jr. and the entire Leth family are committed to these ideals.
The Wagram region of Austria is home to Europe’s most extensive loess soil formations. The region formed when glacial winds blew fine particles of agglomerated clay, sand and lime – loess – onto the prehistoric bedrock of the ancient course of the Danube river. The layers are up to 20 meters deep, and enable vine roots to delve deeply and absorb water and nutrients from the mineral-rich subsoils. Combined with the benevolent climate and wide temperature variation from day to night, perfect conditions combine to create unique terroir wines.
Vineyards in the first terraces at the foot of the Wagram hillside, Fels am Wagram village.
- Altitude: 200 – 220 meters
- No herbicides used in vineyard for 25 years
- No pesticides for 10 years
- Loess soils and terrior, and green soil covering eliminates need for irrigation and fertilizers
- Following organic standards, Formal Bio certification from 2022
- Hand harvested and berries selected by hand without Botrytis
- Destemmed, skin contact for 8 hours
- Gentle pneumatic pressing, then 12 hours settling
- Clear juice fermentation using only natural yeasts in controlled temperature stainless steel tanks
- Aged on fine lees for 2 months
- Racked and bottled in February 2021
Fine harmony in the nose: stone fruit with lots of peach, yellow fruit and grapefruit. Elegant complexity of fruit with light herbs and spice on the palate, some almost stony hints, typical for this variety. Enjoy fresh.
100% Riesling; alcohol: 12.5%; terraced vineyards on the Wagram hillside; red gravel soils with some loess cover; no herbicides or pesticides – Certified Sustainable Austria wine; dry farmed; hand harvested and sorted; 8 hours skin contact; fermented using only indigenous yeasts in stainless steel tanks; wine aged on fine lees for 2 months; bottled in February.
- 100% Riesling grapes
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- Total Acidity: 7.6 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 5.4%
- Certified Sustainable Austria wine
Fresh, floral, spicy and lemony, this is a hearty, concise Riesling, firm and generous and ready for anything.
|Proprietors||Franz Leth Family|
|Winemaker||Franz Leth Jr.|
|Annual Production||25,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|