For the family that has produced Cognacs in Chermignac for five generations, there is one guiding principle: follow the family tradition of care and obsession with flavor that goes into each bottle, not the fashion of the moment. That focus on creating the most pleasurable experience in the glass, following the same recipes that have been handed down through the generations, drives all the distilling, blending and aging decisions for Vallein Tercinier at Domaine des Forges.
- The soils of Fin Bois primarily consist of clayey, chalky soils that have a red tinge and contain stones from the Jurassic period.
- Heavy, 60% clay soil that produces round, smooth, intense cognacs that age fairly quickly.
- Fin Bois eau-de-vie have a bouquet of freshly picked grapes and are lightly floral.
- Bon Bois soils are sandier, eroding from the Masif Central.
- Vines are often dispersed and in some places are surrounded by forests of chestnut and pine.
- Bon Bois eau-de-vie are dominated by the character of the terrior. Their fruity aromas are scented with crushed grapes.
The 46° X.O. Small Batch Cognac has a very fine, intense, fruity nose of apricot, honey, orange, and plum, perfectly balanced by notes of anise and almonds. In the mouth, you first encounter flavors of ginger, then intense, soft and fruity notes appear in a perfect harmony.
- Made from 100% Ugni Blanc grapes from Fins Bois & Bons Bois
- Blend of exceptional 25 year old Fins Bois eau-de-vie and 15 year old Bon Bois eau-de-vie
- Non chill-filtered to preserve fine fruity aromas; no coloring
- Alcohol: 46%
“25 of the Best Cognacs at Every Age and Price (2021)”
More than any Cognac, this bottle looks ideally placed to attract whiskey drinkers. Arriving at 46 percent ABV, the small-batch blend contains a range of distillates aged between 15 and 25 years. Spirits geeks will also be pleased to learn that it’s bottled without chill filtration. The profile, however, is distinctly Cognac: fruity, floral, and remarkably powerful, the spirit is also aided by its higher ABV content.
“The 50 Best Spirits of 2022”
#20 of 50 Best
It’s too reductive to judge spirits based on numbers, but it’s worth considering the digits in the case of this Cognac: a small batch blend of 15- to 25-year old brandies, it retails for just over $100. Try finding that kind of value among aged spirits styles — we’ll wait. But again, we shouldn’t concentrate too hard on that, especially given the quality and personality of the spirit in this bottle. Perfumed, floral, and immensely powerful, this is a Cognac that shows all of the nuance of age but with a simultaneously youthful profile. That it’s made without chill-filtration and bottled at 46 percent ABV — an outlier in the Cognac space — this bottle will win over spirits geeks of all persuasions, from brandy to bourbon.
25 of the Best Cognacs at Every Age and Price 2023
There’s a strong sense this bottle is trying to attract whiskey drinkers: Bottled at 46 percent ABV, the small-batch blend comprises 25- and 15-year-old distillates, which arrive in bottle without chill filtration. The only difference between this and whiskey is the unlikelihood of scoring a similarly aged blend for this (not altogether modest) price in the latter category. Perfumed, floral, and incredibly powerful, this is a complex sipper, with the higher ABV coaxing out extra layers of nuance.
Gold Medal Points
Gold Medal – 2022 SF World Spirits Competition
|Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Borderies, Fins Bois, Bons Bois
|Catherine Tercinier, Louis Tercinier,
|Foucauld De Menditte
|3,750 9L cases